Fly Fishing Retreat
"The Secrets of Fly Fishing Success"
with Gary Kell
April 29 - May 1, 2017
It's finally here - the fly fishing retreat you've been waiting for. Everyone is welcome to come for a weekend of learning, spiritual exploration, and fishing! Gary is a well-known fly fishing instructor and welcomes participants of all skill levels. "The Secrets of Fly Fishing Success" is designed for aspiring and veteran fly fishers alike. This two-day course will reveal the secrets of fly fishing, including setting up your equipment, tying knots, identifying aquatic insects, determining where fish lay in a stream, selecting a fly, and casting and fishing in a way that leads to success!
In indoor and outdoor class sessions we will:
Together we’ll wade into the trout streams to learn:
What better reward for good technique than a beautifully speckled creature of God’s handiwork, the trout, making the rod dance in your hand! After briefly admiring God’s intricate handiwork and thanking Him for the opportunity, we will release this wonderful creature back into the wild.
Gary Kell - The Fly Fishing Coach
"My mission is to help you become the fly fisher you always wanted to be. I offer high quality, patient and effective coaching in all aspects of fly fishing so that when your "adventure" with the fish occurs, you will be ready!"
Gary, a native of NW Pennsylvania, has been fly fishing for nearly 50 years. He has taught hundreds of people various aspects of fly fishing. For five years Gary was a lead fly fishing instructor for L. L. Bean. In 2009, he became a Master Certified Instructor through the International Federation of Fly Fishers (IFFF) and, in 2016, he received the IFFF Governor's Mentoring Award. His latest achievement is co-authoring the new Keystone Fly Fishing Guide.
Gary currently resides in Warren, PA where he owns and operates "Gary Kell - The Fly Fishing Coach," providing a variety of fly fishing instructional services.
www.theflyfishingcoach.com facebook.com/theflyfishingcoach 814-706-2506
Check-in for this event will be from 2PM to 3PM on Saturday, April 29. The retreat will continue through lunch on Monday, May 1. All meals and stay are included in the $192 price.
Tuition - $60
+ Room and Board - $132
= TOTAL - $192
Private rooms are available upon request at an additional $10/night.
To get the most out of the second day, bring wading gear and a PA fishing license if you already have them. This is not required or mandatory. Even without waders or a license you can still go to the stream and watch the demonstrations and fishing tactics. Those who are new to the sport should take the class before making any purchases. The school will make you more knowledgeable as to what you actually need or want to purchase should you decide to take up the sport.
Bring your own fishing gear if you have it. However, you will need to have the equipment set up the correct way for this course. You may, over the course of the day, set your rod up to use in the practice sessions or call/email Gary for instruction on how to prepare your equipment before the event.
- Bring rain gear, including waterproof foot gear – will practice rain or shine.
- Bring a hat and eye protection – eyeglasses or sunglasses.
- Bring insect repellant and/or sun protection.
- Let instructor know of any physical issues beforehand – reasonable accommodations can and will be made without fanfare. i.e. physical disability, cannot stand for long periods, muscular or joint problems, visual or hearing issues etc.
- Fly fishing carries inherent risks, including accidental hook penetration in the body and tripping hazards. The same hazards exist in the stream and sometimes water is not clear and hazards not visible (many carry a wading staff for stability and probing the stream bottom before moving).
- Let instructor know of any schedule problems such as early departures or late arrivals.